Re: Dykes Eligibles

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Donald Eaves wrote:
> Are judges the voters for the medal?

As bad (biased, ignorant, ...) as we are, yes.

> Will they have seen all the
> candidates in gardens?

Not hardly.

> Do they have to have seen them growing
> for more than a season?

In theory, yes, for two seasons. In practice, some judges vote from the national
trek, or from catalog pictures, or based on the hybridizer's name, or the iris's

> Assuming judges do the voting, are there
> more judges from populated areas who might shift the balance of
> the vote to a variety which does well in their area?

Yes. That is one of the lesser problems. Or is it a problem after all? Slanting
the votes towards where the iris growers are might be okay. It can mislead the
public, though. Regional awards could be much more meaningful. Iris which thrive
in southern California may rot in other parts of the country, and those that
need a real winter may be glorious elsewhere and never bloom here.

A tough problem. Wish I had a solution (or even a hint of one).

-Gerry, finding it difficult enough to vote properly based on performance here
mailto://gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society