Re: OT-Chat: L. canadense

From: Ellen Gallagher <sibrob@ncia.net>

Rusty Thornsburg wrote:

> Rusty
> ...where it was too hot to go outside and weed at 8:30 am this morning...

and I add that it was too cold to go out and weed at 8:30 this morning.
Not really - the temps hovered around 55 F reaching a high of 60 on a
sunny, clear, glorious mountain day. NO RAIN for a change but our one
day reprieve ends tomorrow with rain and thunderstorms expected all
week.

We decided to forego gardening for a day and went north toward Canada
for lunch and we were driving thru the *wilderness* and I screamed
(literally) "stop the car". I jumped out of the car and jogged through a
large clearing near a swollen, raging river (the Androscoggin) and
almost fell to my knees as I gazed upon my first L. canadense growing in
the wild. !! It was thought to be only found in Northern Maine and
Canada. Happy to report that I found 7 specimens in Cambridge, New
Hampshire (ok, so it is almost in Quebec - don't quibble). One in full
bloom and two in green bud and the others immature. I would estimate
that they were growing on a slope in a sunny clearing of an 1/16 of an
acre. NO camera in the car....will return to get pix next
week-end...have marked the site and will anxiously watch for seed-pods
later this summer which I will donate to the NALS and specifically the
Species Lily group. So exciting...as an afterthought, there were several
I. versicolor growing near the river but they are commonplace here.

	L. canadense = Canada lily

Feeling good,

Ellen