SPEC: cristata in creek bed

From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>

Has anyone ever noticed I. cristata growing in creek beds? Does it do that?

Yesterday I found what sure looked like established cristata growing all
over the place along a dry creek. Moss on the boulders strewn down the bed
was maybe an inch thick, and the irises were growing over it and in the
dirt floor of the creek and along the banks and even, in one case, in a low
crook of a moss-eaten tree trunk.

My cristata look pretty sorry these days. They're poking out of a
grass-skirt rick of dead foliage, and the fans look parched from our heat.
But these creek bed cristatas were lush, pliant and green, green. They were
a little taller than my home cristata. It's very shady along that trail and
still moist although the creek's been dry for weeks. Herds of Daddy
Long-Legs gyrate as you draw near, so many that you hear their movements as
gossip in the ground cover.

Any ideas on these creekish irises? They aren't fulvas, and they're
stoloniferous, so they're not brevicaulis, either. They look like cristata
to me, only, well, better.

celia b.
Little Rock