Strange flowers???

From: "Robert Pindell" <bobdell@ix.netcom.com>

Just about the time the Iris list on rt66  went
down the last of the buds on my bloom stocks were
opening.

Out of about a dozen and a half  "no name" (gifts
from friends, bought at Kmart, Michigan Bulb
etc.) iris cultivars, I had about eight different
ones bloom this year.  I really did have a nice
display and I figured that I did pretty good
considering that I had dug and divided  all the
iris I have last August.

On several stocks of two of the cultivars, a nice
red brown self with orange beards and a yellow
brown (would be really great with white standards
then it would resemble a nice cold beer :-) )
self with beards the same color, there were
flowers with missing parts.  The missing parts
hadn't been eaten by something or pulled off.
They just *were* not there and never had been
there.  There seemed to be no pattern for the
missing parts.  One would be missing a standard,
another a fall, another had only one standard and
three falls, still another was missing a full
set, standard, fall and the inner parts.  These
flowers really looked strange.  Each of the
stocks had had several buds that had produced
perfect flowers before and these strange flowers
were from the last bud on the stock.

It doesn't seem to be something that has hurt the
plant. And it only happened on these two
cultivars, at least this time.

I have had these iris for several years and never
noticed these missing parts flowers before.  Is
this sort of thing common? If so, what is it
called and what causes it?

One of the neighbors said the plants just got
tired and said, "that's close enough for
government work."

Bob
In the Burbs East of Cleveland Ohio
Lake Effect USDA zone 5