Voting for AIS Awards

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

Donald Eaves posed several questions about AIS awards procedures:

> Are judges the voters for the medal?
Yes, AIS awards including HC and EC for unintroduced seedlings and HM, AM,
and the various medals for introduced cultivars are determined by the
ballots cast by AIS Judges.

>  Will they have seen all the candidates in gardens?
Collectively, yes; individually, no - nor is each judge expected to be
familiar with every cultivar that is eligible. For example, most judges
outside the Pacific Coast states rarely have an opportunity to see PCN's
growing in gardens.

>  Do they have to have seen them growing for more than a season?
That is the ideal.

> Assuming judges do the voting, are there
> more judges from populated areas who might shift the balance of
> the vote to a variety which does well in their area?

Each AIS Region is permitted to have judges in proportion to the total AIS
membership in that Region. The number of AIS Judges by Region, as published
in the January, 1998 AIS Bulletin, is as follows:
Region 1 (New England): 44
Region 2 (NY): 26
Region3 (PA, DE): 24
Region 4 (MD, DC, VA, WV, NC): 53
Region 5 (SC, GA, FL, PR): 40
Region 6 (OH, IN, MI): 68
Region 7 (KY, TN): 59
Region 8 (MN, WI): 33
Region 9 (IL): 33
Region 10 (LA): 8
Region 11 (ID, MT, WY): 16
Region 12 (UT): 21
Region 13 (WA, OR, AK): 67
Region 14 (no. CA, NV, HI): 70
Region 15 (so. CA, AZ): 51
Region 16 (Canada): 10
Region 17 (TX): 54
Region 18 (MO, KS): 79
Region 19 (NJ): 16)
Region 20 (CO): 38
Region 21 (IO, NE, SD, ND): 48
Region 22 (AR, OK): 67
Region 23 (NM): 28
Region 24 (AL, MS): 24
Overseas: Australia - 6, Belgium - 2; England - 4; France - 2; Germany - 1;
Italy - 7;
     Japan - 1

I hope this gives you more insight into the AIS awards selection process!