Re: HYB: nighhtmare!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: nighhtmare!
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 09:13:21 +0000

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> Well, my worst fears have come true.  In case any of you had forgotten, I
> had an absolutely lousy bloom season this year.  And an even more dreadful
> success rate at getting my crosses to actually take.  In fact, I only had
> one successful one. This morning I woke up to find the seed pod decapitated
> from the stalk!  :(
>
> Is there any chance in H-E-double-hockeysticks of saving some of the seeds?
> I estimate the pod is only 4-5 weeks old.
>
> For the record, it was the fault of the guy that mowed the lawn yesterday.
> He damages something in my garden nearly every week.  I thought I had
> enough stakes around this iris though (five) that he'd stay away from it!
> No such luck.
>
> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
> Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6
> Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
> Primary Interests: Hybridizing Arilbreds, Raising Native Ohio Species Irises

John replys and forwards

Dennis,

If there is any stalk left, trim the end to give a fresh surface and
stick it in a hole in a big potato. We will hear from others on the list
as to whether you have to make a new hole from time to time.

Worth a try.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.
http://members.home.net/jijones