Re: TB seedlings seen in Colorado-I must have them!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB seedlings seen in Colorado-I must have them!
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:11:12 +0000

JEM300@aol.com wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct way for you to post something to our iris
> list (as it is) but here goes.  Thanks for your help keeping this going.
>
> Hi Listers,
>
> When at the convention I noted a few seedlings that I just flipped for and
> wondered
> if anyone knows how I could contact the hybridizers.......
>
> At Loomis Test Garden there was an absolutely enchanting confection with the
> oh-so-romantic name of 82-91-10.  The hybridizer is D & A Cadd.  This flower
> has the most lovely form and substance.  It has (as my descriptions go) lilac
> standards edged in yellow with a lacy edge, falls golden yellow washed in the
> center with lilac and violet, darker striped shoulder and yellow beards.  If
> anyone can direct me to D & A Cadd I would surely appreciate it.
>
> At Hudson Gardens there was a most spectacular tall dark and mysterious iris
> by the name of HOME BEFORE DARK.  The hybridizer's name is Moorhead.  This was
> a very large flower with beautiful ruffling.  The color was similar to Gypsy
> Romance but even better, more violet I believe, with big hairy bronze
> caterpillar beards.  It stopped me dead in my tracks.  Wow!
>
> As a rule, I don't pay alot of attention to the seedlings.  There were so many
> named
> varieties in bloom at the Convention I had to draw the line somewhere!  Also,
> a wonderful seedling by Knudtson was seen at the Mining Museum labelled
> 91-4-16 and is a most interesting plicata.  I wanted to dig some up right on
> the spot!!  I generally don't prefer plics but this one all but grabbed me and
> shook me upside down.  What a beauty!  I don't have a description and was too
> doggone cold to take another picture but I sure remember how much I liked it.
>
> If anyone has any info on Cadds or Moorhead please feel free to e-mail me
> privately at JEM300@aol.com.  Thanks!  And what about John?  What a great guy
> to keep these messages moving.
>
> Linda Doffek            West Bend, Wisconsin  where my first Japanese is about
> to open.

John forwards and replys at the same time:

As a general rule you can find the name of introducers and registrants
in the back of each annual R&I and decade Checklist.

I don't see the Cadds in any of the recent R&Is but I happen to have met
them, David and Anna (I think), at the Region 13. Their address:

David Cadd
329 North St
Healdsburg, CA 95448

>From the '97 R&I (lists HOME BEFORE DARK):
Gerald Moorhead
16824 Rayen St.
North Hills AR 71913

In the '95 R&I there is a :
John P. Knudtson
14533 Westchester Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

(hybridizer of Orchid Splendor and Smooth Operator - neither introduced
as of the '97 R&I - but maybe in '98)

John