Re: Re: HYB: daylength independent

Linda,?

My first round of "everbloomers" was Immortality, Feed Back & Sugar Blues.? My primary goal was to merge their abilities (rebloom) with the form of oncers or CA rebloomers.?

There were no direct crosses between those three.? However, several of the crosses I made with Immortality and Feed Back gave hope.?

No notes on how many bloomed, sometimes a note on when they bloomed if I was surprised at the time.? Most have been fall.? It was not uncommon for me to plant the 10-12 strongest from a cross and either pitch the rest or let them die in their pots.?

Returning Chameleon (Pink Sleigh x Immortality) can and does bloom in the summer.? (July & Aug) Bridge In Time seems to be a cycle rebloomer as most of my?previous introductions have been.???

As to cold climate summer x cold climate cycle?? Yes.? I crossed Corn Harvest x Immortality and it gave three cycle rebloomers.? The only one of interest bloomed in Sept. (early for me) and was a definite improvement on both.? Yellow standards over lavender falls, tall and well branched.???It was a very vigorous grower and was lined out but eventually discarded.?Crossed but no pods.? Not appreciated enough at the time.? Others were less than CH.?

IMM x CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE:Apparently CE liked Alvaton better than she likes Mitchell's Madness/Windy Garden/Betty's Dillusions!? <vbg>? It refuses to bloom here.? It bloomed one July at Alvaton!? Obviously it bloomed in the spring or I wouldn't have had the cross.? There were 60 small seed.? I recall this was one of the crosses that sprouted the third week in FEB. 1992.? I came home from pot luck to find several crosses, out of 77, had sprouted and gone into the leaf mulch above.? Some were so light starved I was not able to save them.?

My notes only give the date on the first seedling (above) to rebloom but I remember the time and they followed one after the other.? Going on memory but I seem to recall about 5 that bloomed during summer.? All were dingy in color and none were as outstanding as the first one that bloomed. ?Notes indicate the cross produced many strong seedlings.? I don't recall fall rebloom or much else about the cross.?

I've rarely gotten the high percentage of rebloom in seedlings that people expect or others report.? Maybe that is because I've primarily used cold climate x warm climate (and sporadic) rebloomers.? Maybe it's because I don't always plant all the seedlings??

Just off the top of my head the cross that produced Echo Location has given the most rebloom (14 seed/7plants/4 rebloomed)? All good!??

IMMORTALITY X (CHRISTMAS RUBIES x FOXY LADY):
According to my notes the pollen seedling (pleasing pink) did not rebloom and my memory says the same.??CR is another of my obsessions.? I tried to reproduce this cross since I move out here, but?CR & FL refuse to live here.??Seedlings were interesting to say the least.? Not exactly what I expected.??

PRECIOUS MOMENTS X IMMORTALITY:??Oh!? Only 14 seed/12 plants/3 rebloomed.? Strong!? (IMM= pollen)

Why did I use PM?? (Spoon introduced a rebloomer from it)
1) I'm really big on?reading the R & I's.? (as you know) It had?WINTER OLYMPICS and others?with rebloom in it's linage.??A glimmer of hope.?
2) Monty was excited about it.
3)?I'm not fond of cream irises but I thought PM hung the moon!??An exceptional iris in my Alvaton garden.? (died here)?

One of my biggest dissappointments in those years was when?0544-01RE would not grow?stalks taller than 16-18 inches!???Not quite as pretty as PM, but good.?

I've often made crosses based on the hope that parents have passed on rebloom genes that have simply not expressed themselves in the chosen parent.? Sometimes I've been successful.? When not, I choose a good seedling and carry on.?

MEMPHIS MISS is a very strong iris from PRESENCE X PINK ATTRACTION.? In this case my gamble produced some very nice seedlings but no rebloom.?

SILVERADO contained NAVY STRUT and others that are sporadic rebloomers.? It didn't work for me.? For me it took about 3 generations to bring back the rebloom.? Maybe if I'd used different partners?? Some things we'll never know.?

In some cases I simply have a "build a rebloomer" plan.? I've only had CHRISTMAS RUBIES grow well for me one time, but I was mesmerized-transfixed-captured for all time!? My plan was to "build" a rebloom white with red beards that looked like CR!? <vbg>?

In some cases I simply have left over pollen!? <vbg>

This spring I will bloom seedlings from cold climate x cold climate.? Stand back!? Let spring begin!?

Betty Wilkerson/Bridge In Time/KY/zone 6 . . .
"Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true!"

I'm curious, have you made many cold climate summer X cold climate summer crosses? Or cold climate summer X cold climate cycle??