Re: MISC: overseas shipping

Griff; I hate to admit that i am not an expert on
overseas shipping. But I do know this; The American
Iris Society does recieve information about the
problems of overseas shipping mostly into but partly
out of this country. I can not speak for the board but
even though I feel the AIS shoould have a stand on
these policies we can not act as advocates because of
our non-profit status. But we can keep our membership
informed. Unfortunately there are so many problems for
the board to deal with, I am afraid not every issue
gets as much interest as is warranted. I will not
suggest that we are on top of things. I will note that
many of us care and struggle with the essence of what
is happening. One plant society alone can not expect
to deal with these issues. There are several people in
the society that have been trying to somewhat keep in
touch. i am one, but admit to not doing a very good
job on this issue. But we are in communication with
other plant societies that have been doing a better
job of monitering regulations. I will suggest to Roy
that maybe we need a person who can connect and
moniter these things better. Any volunteers? The North
American Rock Garden Society seems to be more on top
of thes events better than anyone. Perhaps we need to
have some sort of formal information sharing
arrangement with them. There already is some sharing
informally. Even so our members need to be
communicating with AIS also. The governnment
bureaucracy is so large that it requires many people
to help understand it. I believe it would be useful to
have a designated person in AIS who could try to keep
track of the regulations but I don't see any