Re: FW: TB: Cult: Birds, early bloom

One season I had a lot of bird damage from mocking birds and white crown
sparrows. The damage by the mocking birds was by tearing up the standards. The
sparrows just seemed to land on the flowers leaving claw marks. Not too
serious,  but no show prospects either. I still have the same birds but no damage. I
don't  know why. I now keep a bird feeder well stocked. The white crowns love
it, but mocking birds do not use it at all.
I am now getting a few blooms on last year's maiden bloom. (No bloom yet on
this year's maiden bloom or on the named varieties.) This would be classed as
very, very early bloom here, but I wonder if it is in fact very late  rebloom
from the year before. One seedling, which was not selected, was one of  the
first to bloom last year as well. It is the first seedling I have had that  is
both the Emma Cook pattern and a plicata (not to be confused with amoena
plicatas like Snowbrook).
Fred  Kerr
Rainbow Acres