Re: Legend of Camelot, luminata?

Thanks Sharon. I missed that concept completely. I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like those white veins in the lower part of the fall may extend between the dark veins near the beard. Is that what you mean by blended effect?

Somehow, I got the idea that 'fancy' or "luminata-plicata" had all white veins in the throat and plic markings around the edge of the bloom. And I also thought that luminata <is> a type of plicata allele. But I think I've got dosages and types of alleles muddied together.

Margie, this is a great educational flower - thanks!

<I sounds like you're thinking of a pure luminata, with no plicata genes. The two alleles can coexist, producing a blended effect in the flower. The white veining is indicative of the luminata allele(s) and the purple veins of the plicata allele(s). This is a striking example of what we used to call a "fancy plicata", but to me "luminata-plicata" is a more descriptive term.

Sharon McAllister>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8