Re: CULT: Merit (Imidocloprid) & honey bees

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Swann-Young" <MryL1@msn.com>
To: "iris" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:41 PM
Subject: [iris] CULT: Merit (Imidocloprid) & honey bees

As far as I know Merit (trade name) is no longer available. <

Granular Merit is still available. Bayer sells a thing called Grub Control in big letters across the bag, but it's really Merit, as a little seal in one corner of the bag tells us. I've been using it for 4 years now, instead of Cygon. I never had many borers with Cygon, and I have fewer with Merit. I have already applied it this year, since the borer larvae start emerging as soon as there are some warm days.

Also, I have noticed a slowly increasing number of honey bees in and around the gardens during the same time period, versus their complete absence for some time before. I'm satisfied that Merit has no adverse effect on hem. -- Griff