Re: HYB: 'Orange Avatar' and carotenoid plicatas

However, you can be certain that there is some connection.  The dotting patterns coinincide in the same pinpoint space as the anthocyanins on the petal surface to create a red, brown or purple dot.  Not in such a way that the carotenoid dots and anthocyanin dots are separated, at least not in any I have seen.  They blen to form one dot so I think it would be safe to say contoled by the same gene.  I have been working toward improved carotenoid plicatas for a few years.  'Orange Avatar' is not the first orange plic to be introduced.  'Orange Plume'  is the earliest that I know of but I don't grow it because it is not frost hardy and rots.  I have yellow orange and lycopene pink plicatas of my own breeding that I am working with.

I did also have orange plicatas appear "spontaneously" from solid orange parents.  'Good Show' and 'Orange Popsicle' seems to carry the trait and 'Beverly Sills' does as well since it produced 'Light Beam'.  Some others that may not be so obvious because of the anthocyanins masking the carotenoid visually are 'Chicasaw Sue' (also lycopene recessive) and 'Broadway and 'Hucklyberry Fudge'.

Another not so obvious would be 'Tiger Honey' because of the theory (or fact depending on the current understanding of broken-color flowers) that at least three plicata genes are need for the color-breaking gene to express itself.  "Beverly Sills' is also one of its parents.  There you have it... a connection.

The trick is to look for carotenoid dotting patterns around the hafts right near the beards and on the standards, inside AS WELL AS outside.  In contrast 'Joyce Terry' and 'Brown Lasso' have no dotting and the standards are solid yellow.  Also look for gradual shadings of carotenoid form the edges toward a white center or dotted centerlines of carotenoid on the falls.

Carotenoid plicatas are not restricted to the tetraploid TB's either.  Notably they occur in the diploids like the more recent 'Snickerdoodle' and other classes as well.  So they probably did not "spontaneously" occur like some of the othe more recent patterns in TB's lately.  It is simply a matter of reducing the amount of anthocyanin to visually clean up the flower color and make the carotenoids visible on their own.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC Zone 8