Re: HYB: older seedlings, rebloom

One area of research that you could help with, is "What are the biological triggers for rebloom on Immortality" This would appear to relate to how summer bloomers like Immortality is different from fall cyclic bloomers and from Daylight Independent rebloomers like Forever Blue and children.

For me , I have noted that summer bloom on Immortality would seem to occur 14 days +/- (time from flowering initiation to bloomstalks maturity)from time minimum night temperature goes above 13c ( +/- 3C)( 55F +/- 5F) for several days in a row. No night light. So there are a few tests that can be done, and a few measurement can be taken. This is referred to fact finding, which is a preliminary to actually doing research. Seeking out or narrowing of hypothesis.

1) Covering up one or several clumps of Immortality at night to reduce night light effects. A bucket, 5 gal pail or garbage bucket would work. Then compare rebloom with clumps exposed to extended lights. Security light or a supplemental light., or both.

2) Keep track of number of mature leaves on rhizomes in clump. Maturity is suppose to be around 6-7 mature leaves. Does Immortality rebloom 14 +/- after maturity, or does it sit for awhile waiting fr some other signal. For me it appears to sit around waiting for another signal, seemingly increase in min night temperature.

3) keep track of Min/max temp at you own garden with a min/max thermometer. Keep daily records.

I suspect Immortality goes into heat dormancy when Max temp goes above about 102F. (+/- 3F) (probably after 2-3 days of this high temp) So min/max would also give us that information. It could be a stop in bloomstalk production, but more likely a halt in growth. So we could possibly see a starting bloomstalk that stops growing until temperatures cool down.

Fertilizing and water would certainly have an effect on growth, but the best method of measuring this would be number of mature leaves on plant. This also takes into consideration of growth rate with ambient temperature and amount of light. All of that are difficult to measure, and indirectly related to bloom, except through plant maturity, of which leaf count is best measure.

Then of courses is the seedling information. Fall cyclic X fall cyclic , what number and type of seedlings. Relationship of plant vigour and speed of maturity of rhizome, corelated with rebloom.

Same with Summer rebloomers  X summer rebloomers

and Summer rebloomers X  Fall cyclic rebloomers.

Of course there are also many other experiments, but these would seem to be the easiest to get data on in home garden.

Chuck Chapman

Re: Fwd: Re: HYB: older seedlings, rebloom