CULT: anticipation

Easter greetings to all of you who celebrate the day.  It's a sunny, if still
cold day here on the East coast.  Even though the feast is early this year,
I'm fortunate to have the season's pre-hybridizing work done at this point  --
weeding, grooming, fertilizing, and weed and pest prevention.  Rains fell at
the needed times except for the last few days, so yesterday was spent watering
in the applications on the home gardens.  The more distant seedling plots,
where water isn't available till April 1, will probably just have to fight the
new weeds on their own, rather than be Preened again.  (One times the
application when rain is forecast, but if the forecast isn't borne out  --
bad luck!)

So, today I've had the luxury of removing the pine straw from the seedling
pots to see what's up.  I'd been a bit concerned, because peeks under the
mulch had shown nothing as late as a week ago, while a friend whose garden is
at a higher elevation already had seedlings up a couple of inches by then.
(His pots were set against a south-facing wall.)  I probably shouldn't have
been concerned, because my records from 2006 and 2007 show germination
starting no earlier than March 28 here.  But yes, today the sprouts are up --
a week ahead of last year!  And, more so than in previous years, there is a
very strong pattern of the SDB and IB crosses sprouting, while the TBs lag
behind.  (Probably just more noticeable because I'm planting more of them.)
Of those TB sprouts that ARE showing, most have rebloom heritage.  Now,
satisfied that germination is showing in some highly-desired crosses, I can go
back to hoping there won't be more germination than there is space for
planting.

In the 3-year-old seedling beds, a couple of reblooming SDBs' fans are
beginning to swell.  I'm also keeping an eye on a couple of TB seedlings that
remained evergreen during the winter.  Last year, I marked several clumps that
stayed tall, if not evergreen, during the winter, but they didn't perform any
differently in the spring than the rest.

I hope all of our Missourians and anyone else who received so much rain are
all ok.  --  Griff