Re: HYB: Beginners:Pods & seeds
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Beginners:Pods & seeds
  • From: Adam Cordes <adambo_iris@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:13:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Betty, and all,

I've been reading this thread with vigor, and am eagerly anticipating my own
"bad pod!"

I was happy to have 'Haunted Heart' bloom for me last year as a first year
transplant.  I used pollen from a local hybridizer's robust unknown space-age
iris, and got a pod. Yippee!  But exactly 21 days later, it snapped off and I
saw it laying on the ground.  Did the right thing, Betty -- I brought it in
and kept it on a shelf, even upside-down, to let it mature.

I highly doubt the seeds are viable!  I saved 'em anyway, and right now
they're in their heavenly soak-bath awaiting vernalization in the 'fridge next
week.  I should take a photo of the poor things, next to some 'normal' seeds,
and cross post it to iris-photos.  They were no bigger than a pinhead, white
to tan in color, and blew around in the wind like chaff.  I didn't even do a
count to see how many I could consider came out of the pod!

Like I said, though.  I'm hopeful!  Maybe if the pod was still connected to
the stalk, it would have matured the seed better with the juices from the
stalk being able to feed the pod.

Happily, I do have a pod from the SA seedling... a reverse of the HH X
SA-sdlg.

:-)

Adam~