Re: curver iris leaves
  • Subject: Re: curver iris leaves
  • From: Betty Ann Gunther <bettyg@cybermesa.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:39:37 -0600

Any chance they came into contact with weed killer? I have heard of weed killer doing that kind of thing to iris. That's all I know.
Betty G.

On 3/19/2012 5:13 PM, Eugene Baxley wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have four iris that have been in my garden less than a year.
They started growing slowly and the leaves grew a little and curved to either
side of the rhizome. One started growing last Summer. It grew a small fan
about three quarters of an inch long which was curved to the side. It stopped
growing and just sat there until about August. I put some root hormone in the
ground at the heel of the rhizome. It grew another small fan then that grew to
about five inches and curved to the opposite side of the rhizome from the
first leaf. This fan tip is nearly touching the ground. The other affected
irires are growing small fans, five or six inches, which are curved to either
side of the rhizome. They have not been through a Winter here.  All my other
iris are growing normal fans. Ten are putting up bloom stalks which is about
three weeks early for the early blooming Tall Bearded Iris here.

Can anyone
of you give me a clue as to what is the trouble with the four iris that are
stunted and deformed? They are all rather high dollar iris.

Eugene Baxley