Re: Re: CULT: Stinger, chickweed
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: CULT: Stinger, chickweed
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:58:15 -0400

Chickweed is taller than a lot of the iris foliage this year - never had such a mess. Lush winter annual (nearly monoculture of chickweed) growth from lack of freezes, heat wave, and lots and lots of rain has produced a lot of soft rot.

After doing a bit of weeding, I'm realizing using herbicide at this point will be much like closing the barn door after the cows have already escaped. So am going to look at this as another opportunity for seedling selection. Soft rot is definitely worse in crosses that I was thinking were a bit iffy for foliar health anyway.

I just better not be finding copperheads hiding out in the chickweed! Normally wouldn't see them till May, but since everything else is out of whack....

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7