Chickweed and other Winterweeds
  • Subject: Chickweed and other Winterweeds
  • From: Eugene Baxley <baxleyeugene@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:15:38 -0700 (PDT)

I have noticed that there is an abundance of chickweed and other Winter weeds
here in Alabama this year. I have been over spraying my lawn of bermuda grass
and zoysia grass mix with roundup in February for about 35 years. I still get
a few because wind, birds etc carry a few seeds to my lawn. All the heat and
rain that Linda Mann was talking about is here in Alabama also, the Spring
weeds have begun to sprout and I will have to use Ortho Weed B Gone (I don't
think that is the correct spelling) to get rid of the Spring weeds. I
broadcast Balan 2.5 G on the lawn in February (Always when the Forsithia
bloom) to control crab grass.
The heat has brought out several iris. There
are five or six open and about one hundred in bud stage. Many of them are
showing color which means that they will open in four or five days if we do
not have super cold weather soon. Since it is nearly the end of March, I
believe the heat will continue unabated. It was in the eighties today. I am
happy to see the iris bloom early, but that means they will quit early also. I
will just enjoy them while they are here.
Linda, those Copperheads don't
rattle, they just bite. One of my brothers-in-law swore that he could smell
Copperheads. We never tested his sense of smell.
E. Baxley