Re: Chickweed and other Winterweeds & pests
  • Subject: Re: Chickweed and other Winterweeds & pests
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 06:30:16 -0400

Thanks, Eugene.

After reading all the warnings about non-target effects/persistence of herbicides (again), I guess am still not quite ready to go that route, but am saving all the information, just in case I change my mind. I still use Roundup, less persistence, fewer non-target risks here on my gravel soil, since it's not a contact herbicide (most is absorbed by plant, then breaks down). So will put up with the occasional deformity from Roundup drift, continue to try to keep weeds down manually, tho with~20 100 ft rows, & adding 2 or 3 new ones this year, it's really not possible to keep them anywhere near clean. Just clean enough to evaluate seedlings.

I did start using Preen in the new seedling rows, plan to use it just for establishment year. Worked well for the summer, but didn't do anything to keep down chickweed over the winter, except in the one place I used a handful of bark mulch around some late transplants. ?? Was the Preen mixed in better with the seeds there from the late transplanting, or did it have something to do with the interaction of the bark mulch and Preen?

Apparently great controversy over cucumber 'fragrance' of copperheads. I made a comment to someone about them smelling like cucumber, was ridiculed, surfed, found the same. They apparently do produce musk, some (like me and your brother in law) swear they smell like cucumber, others say they have been around copperheads in zoos/research facilities for years, and no such thing. Website of one of the research/zoo places said yes, all the others said no. If I smell cucumber, I will continue to be especially alert. However, having said all that, I have also come across copperheads unexpectedly with no cucumber scent warning.

Next issue to be resolved - what to do with my fire ant colony. They do eat ticks and chiggers, which I <really> appreciate. I dug into their chimney that was in the seedling row, poured in some Mule Team Borax, which they don't like much, & they took the hint & moved their chimney to a more acceptable place at the end of the row, several feet from closest irises.

But they are still fairly close. Those of you with experience with fire ants - as long as I don't whack their chimney with the hoe, or otherwise bother their front door, will they leave me alone?