Re: Chickweed and other Winterweeds & pests
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Chickweed and other Winterweeds & pests
  • From: "Dave Silverberg" <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:40:39 -0800

<<Next issue to be resolved - what to do with my fire ant colony.>>

Hi Linda: My local Ag chemical supplier suggested an ant insecticide for me last year that turned out to be the best thing since.........(fill in your choice).

I wanted to keep the ants away from the spuria so that they wouldn't interfere with our hybridizing. This product is fantastic!!! What I'm referring to is TALSTAR.

Step 1: Give the bloom stalk a substantial wiggle between thumb and forefinger to knock all the ants and other bugs off the stalk.

Step 2:  Apply the TALSTAR lightly around and through the clump.

Step 3: Move on to the next clump and repeat.

I did this for all 100 plus clumps of spuria last year. I came back about 45 minutes to an hour later and every clump was free of ants and remained that way for the entire spuria bloom season and then some!! We made 18 crosses and had 17 takes. Its a little bit on the pricey side......about $1.00/lb. One of the nice things about it though is that it has NO expiration date.

The product for fire ants is TALSTAR XTRA. Google the product name and check it out for yourself.
The following was taken from their advertising:

<<Research trials and field tests conducted by industry professionals have proven that with the addition of its powerful new active ingredient, Talstar XTRA granular insecticide eliminates fire ant colonies within four hours or less. And in some cases, the fire ant populations were decimated in minutes, not hours.>>

Dave Silverberg