Re: winter heave - to squish or not to squish
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: winter heave - to squish or not to squish
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:40:12 -0400

Shaub's suggestions help. A couple of other things one can do is (1) put a brick on the rhizome, or, better, (2) take a wire coat hanger, snip the lower cross bar neatly in two, then snip off each of the shoulder pieces at the neck. You now have two v-shaped pieces. Press your erupted rhizome into the earth and pin it down with one of the v-shapes. Keep the arms of the v-shape close to the rhizome. The spring tension still in the wire will tend to keep it from erupting when the natural forces exert upward pressure on the rhizome again. Actually, pinning down is best done when planting a new rhizome if you're in a frequent freeze-thaw climate. -- Griff

-----Original Message----- From: Phloid