HYB: genetics - line & speckle vs plic (from FB)
  • Subject: HYB: genetics - line & speckle vs plic (from FB)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:02:16 -0400

I asked: <Are Wonders Never Cease & Whispering Spirits plicata pattern?> after seeing their photos on the AIS blog.

Chuck Chapman: For my $ all the line and speckle pattern are plicatas. That is have four of the plicata alleles. It is the dosages of Ae (anthrocyanin enhancement ) plus the dominant reduction of anthrocyanin "I" gene in combinations that give them their unique colours. When the Ae and I genes recombine in crosses with them you get a lot of iris with plicata genes that have non traditional plicata patterns. such as solid black that are actually plicatas. Black Lightning is a soild coloured black that is a plicata, From a cross of Ruby Eruption with a solid black seedling from a luminata cross.

Walter Moores: When "line and speckle" first came out, the hybridizers who introduced them said they weren't plicatas. Chuck, do you consider everything in the Ring Around Rose family to be plics?

Walter Moores: This is 'Newsworthy,' Ernst '05, and is from the Ring Around Rosie family. Crossing plics to selfs will often give haft markings or a spray pattern. Is this a plicata?
Walter Moores's photo.

Chuck Chapman: Yes and yes. Newsworthy would be considered a plicata-luminanta type. The big kicker is the Ae gene which give anthrocyanin inclusions in vacuole. These are solid lumps of anthrocyanin bound by complex sugar interactions attatched to basic framework of anthrocyanin molecule. Comes from several dark species, notably aphylla. I published this a few years back in AIS bulletin. When present in plicatas, the colour is in center of petals and not just in a rim. When you add the dominant reduction of anthrocyanin gene "I" it removes anthrocyanin from everywhere except the center of falls (and standards in different configurations including amoena pattern). Thus the two types, Newsworthy without "I" and Ring Around Rosie with "I". Various combinations of glaciata and luminant with Ae and I gives all the various lines and speckles patterns. Not too many people realize the significance of this Ae gene and how it alters patterns. It explains a lot of things that the genetic people have puzzled over.

Chuck Chapman: .... Black Lighting is a black phenotype. Genetics show when it has a point mutation showing plicata genotype under solid over lay.
Chuck Chapman's photo.

Chuck Chapman: Black Lightning as it normally shows in garden.
Chuck Chapman's photo.

Betty Ward Wilkerson: Chuck, am I understanding you correctly, when I say that anything with plicata in the breeding, is, genetically, plicata?
2 hrs 7 Like

Chuck Chapman: If it has four (in tetraplids, 2 in diploids) of the plicata alleles, pl, pl-lu or pl-gl, then it is a genetic plicata. Phenotype can go from solid like Black Lightning, to near colourless like Laced Cotton.

Linda Mann