HYB: Re: [iris-photos] controversial seedling

Well you sure are right about that. Some folks hate all novelty iris, no
matter what. But this looks balanced and pretty so I'd have to agree with
you... plus from what little you can see in the photo, lots of buds, good
branching, lots of bloom sockets... could be an excellent garden specimen.
Just because its not a standard bearded, whats not to like???

(I cross posted to iris-talk because even without the pic its an interesting
subject. But I'll be danged - no subject tag for seedlings!)

Region 19, NJ

Kenneth Walker wrote:
> This year's Mt Diablo Iris Show was enlivened by a bit of
> controversy. Fred Kerr's seedling 971201 won  Best
> Seedling. It is a tall bearded iris with six falls, all with nice
> beards and accompanied by six style arms but no standards.
> Some people feel it is an ugly monstrosity and others think it
> is an exquisite beauty. Fortunately the iris world has room for
> all tastes.
> As for myself, when I looked over the entries as the show on
> Sunday, I found my favorite bearded iris was the historic
> Dominion. I saw nothing there introduced in the last 85 years
> with more lovely blooms. They have good substance, nice
> color, and not a hint of waves or ruffles to distract from the
> simple beauty of their wonderful artistic lines. However, I
> had left my camera at home on Sunday...
> Ken Walker
> Concord, CA USA
> USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14

          Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444          Fax: 609-518-3720

  safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across
  the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil,
  shouting GERONIMO!"
  cathy@gixxergirl.org           http://www.gixxergirl.org/

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.