Re: SIB: China Spring

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SIB: China Spring
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:49:55 -0600

> From: Judy Hunt <judyhunt1@bellsouth.net>
> A first for our garden:  We have a Siberian iris blooming before most of
the tall beardeds!  CHINA SPRING has been blooming for three or four days
and is quite a lovely thing, tall and elegant.  Does anyone else grow this
one, and if so, does it bloom this early in the season for you?

Judy,

CHINA SPRING (Bauer/Coble, 1999) is listed in the '99 Checklist as a VE
bloomer. Its pedigree is Springs Brook X I. typhifolia. The latter is the
least well known of the 28-chromosome Siberian species, and a very early
bloomer. It is just now being worked into the hybrid Siberian gene pool and
tends to pass its early blooming tendencies on to its offspring. I have
seedlings from two different crosses with I. typhifolia that bloom along
with the SDB's.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.