TB: Blue Suede Shoes and others

  • Subject: TB: Blue Suede Shoes and others
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:45:50 -0500

After having BSS for three or four years and moving it twice, it
finally decided to bloom.  What is blooming here today is not what I
expected for a Schreiner blue.  The falls are narrow and pinched
and the color rather blah.  And, I don't think I can blame the bad
weather for the poor performance on this one. All the other later-
blooming things are great.  Close by is another Schreiner,
DYNAMITE, and it is dynamite, indeed.  What a red - stiff, starchy
petals, wonderful stalks, and great branching. Like NORTHWEST
PROGRESS , it poor bloom and subsequent death from terminal
rot, BSS may mercifully exit my garden the same way.

ISLAND DANCER, LONELY HEARTS,  and ATLANTA BELLE are
blooming out (iris suicide).

CARNIVAL SUNSET, SILK BROCADE, and CROWNED HEADS
are lying down on the ground.

SHOP TALK  upstages all of the late bloomers.  What a wonderful
iris that has no awards.  So fantastic in every way - bloom, stalks,
buds, color and it is also immune to rot and leaf spot.

ARCTIC FOX - not enough superlatives in the language to describe
this one.

STARRING - yes,  STARRING bloomed yesterday. WOW.

WATCH NIGHT - an early nineties black from the Hamners.  Not
all that black, but a grower with a deep red-violot flower made out
of leather.  It won't bloom out either.

HOLLYWOOD NIGHTS - indescribable black with lace.   Grows
like a weed, too.

So goes the ML to L. season.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8