Re: HYB: seedling overdose

  • Subject: Re: HYB: seedling overdose
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:27:40 -0000

Congratulations, Francelle!!

How exciting to breed lovely seedlings such as you describe!  Can you
get digital pics to post on iris-photos?

And may I duplicate your cross at some point?  I have Pink Lenox, and
have ordered Celebration Song for this summer's planting.  I would
share photos (hardcopy in my case) with you.  Fun to see all the
variations, yes?

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8? where after only three precious days of
sun, the weather has returned to rain, highs in the 50s, lows in the
40s.  I put clear plastic bags on my few tall blooms this morning, so
I can rescue any pollen possible for future crossing.

--- In iris-talk@y..., "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@w...> wrote:
> Thanks for the encouragement, John.  I just finished setting out
the last pot of my seedlings for this year.  It is the same cross as
one that is blooming now from last year, Pink Lenox X Celebration
Song.  I love all of its blossoms.  It is giving me ruffled, pink
bearded whites, red bearded lavenders (I like lavender), bright
orchids and even some deep shrimp pinks.  Some are even decently
branched.  However the prettiest one, a very intense, perfect orchid,
seems to have Celebration Song's bloom out tendency.  It's pollen
fertile, so I've crossed it with a few good growers, including
Ruffled Goddess, to see if I can keep the color and get rid of the
fault.
> Francelle Edwards   Glendale,  AZ   Zone 9
>   Keep going.  Many excellent iris do not have great bud count.
Not often
>   you'll see more than three buds open at once anyway, so for that
limited
>   time your flower is prettier than theirs.  Theirs just stays
around longer.

>   John Reeds, in sunny 9b southern California where new bed #3
(oldies) just
>   got planted last weekend.

Service.

Buy Stock for $4