Re: TB: Blue Suede Shoes and others

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB: Blue Suede Shoes and others
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 13:33:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/2002 9:11:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

> Subj:[iris-talk] TB: Blue Suede Shoes and others
> Date:5/2/2002 9:11:38 AM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:wmoores@watervalley.net";>wmoores@watervalley.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:iris-talk@yahoogroups.com";>iris-talk@yahoogroups.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
> After having BSS for three or four years and moving it twice, it
> finally decided to bloom.  What is blooming here today is not what I
> expected for a Schreiner blue.  The falls are narrow and pinched
> and the color rather blah.  And, I don't think I can blame the bad
> weather for the poor performance on this one. All the other later-
> blooming things are great.  Close by is another Schreiner,
> DYNAMITE, and it is dynamite, indeed.  What a red - stiff, starchy
> petals, wonderful stalks, and great branching. Like NORTHWEST
> PROGRESS , it poor bloom and subsequent death from terminal
> rot, BSS may mercifully exit my garden the same way.

Northwest Progress has not bloomed her increase is good no rot. did not
acquire till last year. Blue Suade Shoes died the second year I owned it in
the mid 90s I think. Did not replace. Best Schreiners blue here year in year
out is Honky Tonk Blues.

> blooming out (iris suicide).

Lonly Hearts only one I'm growing. of these. It's ok but disapointing
performance this year with blooms.

> are lying down on the ground.

Silk Brocade doing well here. Blooms and blooms. Stalks kinda short for my
taste. Crowned heads not producing many stalks. Maybe four blooms to date.
Maybe got one anther of pollen. Don't have CS.

> SHOP TALK  upstages all of the late bloomers.  What a wonderful
> iris that has no awards.  So fantastic in every way - bloom, stalks,
> buds, color and it is also immune to rot and leaf spot.

Never seen this one will look for.

> ARCTIC FOX - not enough superlatives in the language to describe
> this one.

Don't have AF. Impressed with Arctic Express this year except branching not
long enough to properly display blooms. Lots of em though.

> STARRING - yes,  STARRING bloomed yesterday. WOW.

I've been hearing a lot about this one. Have not seen.

> WATCH NIGHT - an early nineties black from the Hamners.  Not
> all that black, but a grower with a deep red-violot flower made out
> of leather.  It won't bloom out either.

Used Satan's Mistress pollen today from the one you sent me on Dusky
Challenger. DC impressive every year here. "Two hands huge" this year. Think
I'll love this one forever. Even without many buds, it knows where to put the
ones it does have.

> HOLLYWOOD NIGHTS - indescribable black with lace.   Grows
> like a weed, too.
> So goes the ML to L. season.

Lemon Chess opened it's first bloom here today. Clump in friend's yard is in
near full bloom soon. Mostly crossed it with Corona Gold today. LC would
benifit from heavier substance. Everything else in her yard is later than
mine. What an enigma.
Sea Power bloomed yesterday. Not so grand this year. Used some pollen anyway.
River Song laying down but 2.5 inches of rain causes that when it opens 4 at
a time and so often. A performing Maryotte. Also impressed with En Guarde.
Alabaster Unicorn is good. Large flower. Tall stalk. Triple socket on top of
most. Some triple sockets on lateral branches. It got some LC too. Local
Color is the Kepple performer two years in a row. Good here. Velvet Shimmer
went on most plics I did today.

We're having a garden tour/social at the Lauderdale's home this Sunday 1 til
4 pm. LC may be in full bloom there. You will be a welcome guest if you
decide to come. If you do I'll send directions. Most iris look poor there. LC
is gonna look great. No judges in club so no vote's but will create some good

> Walter Moores
> Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.