CULT: How do YOU grow irises?

  • Subject: CULT: How do YOU grow irises?
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 22:21:16 EDT

irismoose@daylily.net writes:

<<  I hope many of you in this forum will add your thoughts to this
discussion.>>

Bobby,
     This is going to be different from most, because I am outside the
regions known to support Bearded Irises.  For some reason, the sandy soil
here is fatal to Bearded Irises, so I grow some Rebloomers in pots that are
filled with a great potting mix that is sold at Dinkins Store in Dunnellon,
FL.  Without Dinkins, I don't think I could grow Irises...
     I do have some Louisiana Irises and some plants of Iris virginica that
are growing in kiddie pools.  Those kiddie pools, which are sunk into the
ground, are filled with a mix of soil [sand here] and Canadian peat moss.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida, USA
USDA Zone 8b        Sunset Zone 28