SPEC: HYB: New Hybrid like PALTEC

  • Subject: SPEC: HYB: New Hybrid like PALTEC
  • From: "tesilvers" <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 20:01:39 -0000

For several years, I've been trying to recreate the I. tectorum /
bearded cross (like PALTEC). I've mostly been using diploids  like I.
pallida, I. cengialtii, I. variegata and some of the diploid MTB's
(but occassionally tetraploid beardeds also), and both white and blue
forms of tectorum. I've crossed in both directions with very little
success in getting seeds at all. The occassional seeds I've grown to
maturity have turned out to be just selfed tectorums. The last year,
I tried mixing pollen; using a little bit of known compatible pollen
with a simultaneous heavy application of pollen from the intended
male parent. I figured I could weed out the obvious non-hybrids. I
haven't planted any of these seeds yet, but I'll be getting in gear
now, because I just found out that a stray seedling from all those
early attempts is a hybrid after all.

I had reused potting soil like I often do, and a seedling popped up
that I had assumed was maybe 'Floridor' x 'Consummation'. It had
leaves that looked like a typical bearded iris (looking at it now, it
is a little overvigorous maybe). Anyway, whatever I had planted in
the pot died, and some violets had come up in addition to the iris.
So I used the violets in some crossing attempts (I hybridize
everything) and had been overlooking the iris all along. Well at
lunch today I walked by the flower stalk and noticed the ordinary
shade of purple flower on the iris but didn't look closely. After
lunch I went back out to see if the iris might look like what I would
imagine for 'Floridor' x 'Consummation'. I got goosebumps when I saw
that the wispy beard that started out on each fall terminated in a
crest for the last third or fourth of its length. Then I also noticed
how the standards are open and spreading like the tectorum. So, never
having grown Paltec, I got out a catalog I had just received with a
nice closeup. My seedling looks almost identical except for less
color in the beard/crest and maybe broader petals and style arms. The
stalk only has two buds. I'll have to run out for film and get some
pictures.

So, I know, call me unprofessional because I can't tell you what
cross produced this seedling. Doesn't it figure. I really should keep
more organized, but it's so hard when you're trying every cross under
the sun. I'll definitely have to get Paltec now and try to convert
these two to amphidiploidy. I'd like to start up a new fertile family
derived from these wide-cross progeny.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.