HYB: CULT: coming up for air...

  • Subject: HYB: CULT: coming up for air...
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 19:32:14 -0400

What an overwhelmingly abundantly nice bloom season - more pollen than I
can keep up with, more blooms than I can rave over & more possibilities
for crosses than I need!  Exhausting....<g>

The dark seedling that I posted the awful photos of is/has been
spectacular.  Almost sickeningly sweet scented & blooming away in spite
of the weather - still all stalks standing tall.  Amazing.

A lot of pretty and nice, but mostly unremarkable, seedlings from
IMMORTALITY X CELEBRATION SONG.  Good breeding potential for some.

Remember the cross way back in 96 between DUSKY CHALLENGER & HARVEST OF
MEMORIES?  Finally one of those bloomed - HUGE DC style blooms.  Slow
grower in the weeds - don't know if it will rebloom - I doubt it.

Best newcomer - ART DECO - this is so early, it will probably not be a
good long-term performer here, but it has 4 stalks on a rhizome planted
in late October (!), and the terminal fan bud was killed!  These stalks
have come up one after the other - the youngest is closer to normal
height, the first was almost on the ground.  All the blooms have been
normal sized and undamaged, in spite of the stunted stalks.  And there
are fans that are not blooming, so this will not bloomout.  Thank you to
whoever recommended this one!

SEAKIST (also planted late October) is later (not open yet) and has 3
normal very healthy looking stalks with buds, one of which was from the
terminal fan.  I'm impressed.

Of the previous residents, OCTOBER SPLENDOR has been splendid - perfect,
beautiful blooms, lots of pollen (you listening Gary Sides?  thanks for
producing that baby).  And KNOTS LANDING bloomed its head off, tho some
stalks fell in the storms.

An odd year - better performance of most of the earlier ones that
usually get frozen out and poor performance of several of my reliable
later bloomers, including DUSKY CHALLENGER, which is not showing any
signs of bloom at all.

Wierd...

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4