  • Subject: SPU:blooms!
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 20:01:34 -0500

After three years of patient waiting, or impatient if you insist on absolute
truth at all times, I have spurias blooming.  Started with JET SET, followed
quickly by SNOW GIANT, and then MISSOURI AUTUMN, AMBER RIPPLES and 7 stalks
on CINNAMON STICK.  This last is probably my favorite, but so far the heat
and insects are leaving them alone and they are sure nice.  The yellow
jackets and wasps are crawling all over the blooms.  That is infinitely
preferable to the leaf hoppers who are wreaking havoc on the late TB blooms
that are still hanging on.  They aren't bothered in the least by my face
being stuck right down next to them.  I guess they assume I'm doing the same
as they are, whatever they are doing, and believe there is plenty to go
around.  Do they collect nectar from the spurias?  I really can't tell what
they are doing there.  There are two to three on every bloom, and they are
moving all over the bloom, but I can't see what they are after.  Don't seem
to be damaging the blooms at all.  But I still have this many more that are
going to bloom for the first time.  I'm patiently waiting, of course!  Yes!!

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.