Re: Newbie needing help...

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Newbie needing help...
  • From: carol frazer <cjf5064024@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:47:19 -0700 (PDT)

I'm a newby also. My name is Carol. Sounds like you
really got into a mess. Well, I had a friend who gave
me my first bunch of iris about 3 years ago-they are
just now starting to bloom for the first time-well,
when she dug them up, she cut the "leaves" way back so
when I planted them, they were probably 1-2" tall and
they all did fine-didn't bloom, but now seems to be
heading in that direction. One of the guys recommends
alfalfa(hope that's spelled right)pellets. He swears
by that product,but seems like the fert you put down
in March should be enough-I'd be afraid of over doing
it. I'm sure the more experienced can be of more
help-good luck.
--- tan0301 <tan0301@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just joined the group  glad to have found you all.
>  Hubby and I got
> really into Iris last year and joined and Iris
> Society.  Most of our
> Iris were planted last year but we were having a
> nice amount of bloom
> stalks being put up.  Here's my problem... we
> flooded this past
> wednesday,  Iris uprooted all over the place.  We
> have them planted
> back.  Most blooms were broken off, the leaves were
> in terrible
> shape.  I trimmed the worse off of the leaves.
> Here's my question,
> would a shot of fertilizer help take some of the
> stress off these
> plants or would it make it worse???  I fertilized in
> March.  Hubby
> was so anxious to see the blooms he made me leave
> what stalks
> survived, should they be cut off to keep from
> stressing the plants?
> The flood really made a mess of everything.  I have
> pictures if
> anyone would like to see...
> I have two words for everyone GARDEN MAPS!  LOL  all
> my plant markers
> washed out if it hadn't been for the maps, we would
> have been in a
> terrible mess... Make those maps, print them out,
> save them on your
> hard drive them save them to disk... can't be too
> careful.
> Also, hubby is crossing iris this year.  What is the
> best way to
> store the seeds.  Everything I read says something
> different.  The
> more I read the more confused I get.
> Thanks for your help -- Tanya  zone 5

Do You Yahoo!?