Re: CULT: Matching Names to Plants

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Matching Names to Plants
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:31:38 -0500

(Hard to put a correct subject tag to this one, but suppose this is as close as any we could choose.)
Robert:  I don't know any place on the net you could get such a list, but there are 2 other possibilities for help.  If you know the names of all you have but just don't know which iris go with which names, you could post the names to this list and others could help you with descrip-
tions so you would have help in identifying things when they bloom.  Or, again you need to know the names you started with, you could try to get hold of (buying them or borrowing from somebody) the official Registration and Introduction books of the AIS and look up the dexcrip-
tions.  I guess a 3rd possibility might be, if there were a knowledgeable iris person near you, you could get down on hands and knees and beg that person to visit you in bloom time to help give names to at least some of your plants.  :-)   If there is some such person fairly near you, I really think they'd be glad to help, just happy to have a look at your garden anyway.    If these are all fairly recently introduced cultivars you would not to look through a lot of the R & I books to get those descriptions; they are published in decade by decade lists, as well as a list for each year.  (Excuse me for telling you this if you already know it.  I don't mean to come across as sounding like a know-it-all.)  I wish you success in getting things straightened out.  So frustrating not to have things named.  And do make yourself an on-paper map from now on, as somebody else already said.  It's a necessary backup to easily-moved name tags.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250