Re: re:Newly reenlisted

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] re:Newly reenlisted
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 02 23:00:01 -0500

>we are moving again in about 4 weeks and
>this time to a deer infested area. I was wondering if anyone could
>tell me about the deer proof-ness of iris. I know that the neighbors
>in the area we are moving to are fairly flush in beautiful iris and I
>was pondering whether that is due to luck, protective measures, or
>lack on deer interest.

Our local deer are currently keeping all iris fans grazed right down to
ground level.  They did the same thing last year.  This is generally only
a problem in early spring when the deer are in very poor condition after
a severe and prolonged northern winter.  They will leave the irises alone
once their natural browse leafs out, but until then I won't be seeing
much growth progress in my iris beds.

Last fall in the days immediately preceeding the opening of deer rifle
season, the deer raided my iris beds and again chewed every fan right
down to ground level.  It was the first time they had shown any
late-season interest in the irises.  I don't know what caused the raid
last fall (a pre-emptive strike against the humans who would murder them
in vast numbers over the next 2 1/2 weeks, perhaps - although no one in
my family hunts), but they did manage to uproot a number of last summer's
transplants in the process.

Generally speaking, though, deer don't do excessive damage to irises in
my garden.

Happy growing,

zone 3b northern MN - clay soil

Buy Stock for $4