Re:CULTURE: Matching Names to Plants

Our club president gave me a good tip that has proven invaluable.  Get
some of the heavy duty plastic table knives from a warehouse store or a
craft supply store and use Paint Pens from Wal Mart or Craft store to
write the names on the knives both on the handle and on the blade.  Poke
these down deep enough so the blade is all the way under ground beside
the iris and if the laminated labels come off as they do here in our
climate extremes you will still have the information on the knives.  If
the above ground portion gets broken off it is easy to dig down and find
the the blade and the name of the iris.  I add type and color to the
knives and any other data I want to have available in the garden.  If
several iris that are adjacent to one another are lost it is easy to
identify the ones on either side of those that were lost.

I also make a diagram with the rows numbered, the direction the rows run
and list my iris on the diagram.  The list in the computer will read
something like this:  All rows will be listed from East to West.
 Row 1

Pink Splendor TB pink self with white beard.
Autumn Delight TB RE S: Brown; F: Red  beard gold
Washed out Wilma TB RE pale cream self beard pale cream

Comments are added if needed

Row 2
List the iris planted here.

I find the plastic knives and the diagram and list are the most helpful
for me.  Visitors love the labels because I replace them as needed
before bloom time and before I have visitors to the garden.

Central WA state, USDA zone 5 at the foothills of the Cascade Mts.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.