CULT: bloom report

  • Subject: CULT: bloom report
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 08:48:39 -0400

Just a few notes before I forget

First, I have to brag on our own list member, Dave Silverberg's ABBEY
ROAD.  Nice healthy plant, normal height stalk, normal sized bloom, and
a lovely flower to boot, with nice wide hafts & good substance (genes I
need to perk up my doggy survivors here) plus a form I like.  Plus it is
a fairly late bloomer here, so may do well even in worse seasons.  Thank
you Dave!

VIZIER (a Ghio iris!) has put up a lovely stalk (loaded with pollen -
hooray!) on a second year plant.  This one isn't thrilled with living at
my house, but has increased and the stalk is nice, although
miniaturized, plus it's a different color - sort of a modern LADY
FRIEND.

And finally, a whole row of first year plants, planted late last fall,
nearly all producing a bloom stalk (unheard of here), all Tompkins or
Plotner intros.  Flowers are all normal sized, stalks all a bit on the
short size, but not bad.  Favorites are UNDERSTUDY, a dark blue, heavily
washed with lines and darker edge - looks solid blue from a distance,
out of 'black' plicata background; and JUSTIN TYME, a very lovely blue
amoena, ruffled, nice form, not enough substance, but with a lot of
WHOLE CLOTH (PROGENITOR/reichenbachii) genes.  I hope this one will
contribute lots of future babies with reichenbachii's tolerance of my
garden!  Chet Tompkins sure did produce a lot of cultivars that are
tough.

SULTRY MOOD is outdoing herself this year.  She has always been a super
reliable bloomer out in the open, but a 2 year clump is blooming
spectacularly in partial shade on very tall stalks & huge blooms.  Not a
heavy bloomer, but wow.

A few newcomers yet to bloom - impatiently waiting for JAQUELINE, nice
tall first year stalk with black starting to show on the buds, & another
very nice seedling from local hybridizer, Tom Parkhill.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.