AIS Convention

  • Subject: AIS Convention
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:01:14 -0500

    Having been able to attend the national convention in Memphis, I enjoyed the brief reports on iris-talk that gave me other peoples' perspective on the gardens, etc.  For those who were not there, believe me that what you have read here are BRIEF reports, however interesting and informative.  An enormous amount of viewing, visiting, attending sessions, doing judges' training, meeting people, etc., goes on in those few days.  Wonderful, and exhausting!  It was truly fun to meet so many iris-talk people, recognize the names, talk in person, and now have a face to go along with the names:  one of the highlights of the convention for me.
    All this comes back to me just now because I belong to a couple snail-mail round robins, and I've just written my letter for one of them, in which I wrote about the convention and all we did there.  I went through my convention book and reviewed some of the notes I had made down in Memphis, and that brought back so many great memories that it was very hard to keep my robin letter to manageable size.
    Reviewing the convention notes especially reminded me of details of the wonderful iris we saw in the gardens.  I have a wish list as long as your arm!  Of course I'll never acquire most of those.  I couldn't afford it, and even if I could I wouldn't have a place to put them all.  But that's the great thing about having been there and seen the flowers "in person" rather than just seeing pictures in a catalog.  I can still see them in my mind every time I review the notes in my convention book.
    One thing I wish for--and I heard others say the same thing--was a list of where one could buy the iris that were in the guest plantings.  It's no secret where to order Schreiners' iris or those of people like Larry Lauer or Rick Ernst.  But many of the hybridizers whose work we saw don't have catalogs of their own, and unless one happens to know who introduces for them, one has no idea where to obtain an iris one really admired.  If you are on a planning committee for a future convention, maybe this is something that you could consider.   Then again, maybe not knowing will help me keep a rein on my spending!
Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net