Re: CULT: Matching Names to Plants

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Matching Names to Plants
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 02:58:28 -0000

If you have the names, the most comprehensive source I know of is the
Riverview Iris Garden catalog.  They offer "over 9000 varieties", up
to the most recent, and this year they included descriptions of every
one, which a little checking determined they match the R&I lists I
have for the '80s and 90s.

The catalog costs $7, but is a mindblowing source of both info and
plants.  Their address is 21680 Upper Pleasant Ridge, Caldwell, ID
83605.  Or they have a website:  www.Riverview-Iris-Gardens.com.  You
can probably order the catalog there is you have a credit card.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8

--- In iris-talk@y..., Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@m...> wrote:
> (Hard to put a correct subject tag to this one, but suppose this is
as close as any we could choose.)
> Robert:  I don't know any place on the net you could get such a
list, but there are 2 other possibilities for help.  If you know the
names of all you have but just don't know which iris go with which
names, you could post the names to this list and others could help
you with descrip-
> tions so you would have help in identifying things when they
bloom.  Or, again you need to know the names you started with, you
could try to get hold of (buying them or borrowing from somebody) the
official Registration and Introduction books of the AIS and look up
the dexcrip-
> tions.  I guess a 3rd possibility might be, if there were a
knowledgeable iris person near you, you could get down on hands and
knees and beg that person to visit you in bloom time to help give
names to at least some of your plants.  :-)   If there is some such
person fairly near you, I really think they'd be glad to help, just
happy to have a look at your garden anyway.    If these are all
fairly recently introduced cultivars you would not to look through a
lot of the R & I books to get those descriptions; they are published
in decade by decade lists, as well as a list for each year.  (Excuse
me for telling you this if you already know it.  I don't mean to come
across as sounding like a know-it-all.)  I wish you success in
getting things straightened out.  So frustrating not to have things
named.  And do make yourself an on-paper map from now on, as somebody
else already said.  It's a necessary backup to easily-moved name tags.
> Arnold
> Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
> 38 7th Street, NE
> Sioux Center, IA 51250