Re: RE:OT we have no bloom

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE:OT we have no bloom
  • From: doris1434@juno.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:38:07 -0600

On Fri, 10 May 2002 06:41:18 -0700 "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com> writes:
> >Flowers, shrubs, small
> > trees, dug up and gone

> One local campus has come up with a proven method for discouraging
> the theft > of live evergreen trees from the grounds each Christmas.
The trees
> are> liberally sprayed with coyote urine and the local papers publicize

> this.> Seems that while not noticeable in the cold outdoors, the stench
> overpowering when exposed to warmth in a closed area.

        You know, that's an interesting solution. . . but how the heck
did they get those coyotes to pee in a container??? <VBG>!
        I don't know what would work. . .there are so many parks and so
much planting is done each spring and fall. Short of having the police
patrol every 20 or so minutes, which just isn't feasible . . . .
        The thing most likely to work would be good neighbors with
insomnia who, because they can't sleep, could sit and watch out their
windows and report any visitors at a time when most people are not out
roaming around a park.
        The sad part is that these thieves KNOW the expensive or rare and
unusual plants from the run of the mill plants! My daughter commented
that she is considering not purchasing those plants any longer.
Fayetteville has a limited but workable budget for the parks. Add the
cost of shipping  and labor and some of those plants end up being quite
        Thanks for all the possible solutions and comments.
        In passing . . . like one post said about "if she would have
talked that way (to a parent) when she was a kid". . .. my Mother would
have absolutely snatched me baldheaded and slapped my teeth down my
throat! (her favorite expression!!)

Doris Elevier
USDA 7b, Sunset 11
El Paso, TX