Re: REF:Question received, passing the buck

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] REF:Question received, passing the buck
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:55:11 -0600

> From: Sandy Ives <rives@rogers.com>
> "What is the botanical name of the shape of the Iris flower?".
> I've never really thought about it.  Answers or educated guesses would
> be appreciated.

There are, of course, standard botanical terms used to describe the PARTS
of iris flowers, such as ovate (egg-shaped), obovate (upside-down
egg-shaped), oblong, orbicular (round), cuneate (wedge-shaped), and so
forth. However, I don't recall seeing or hearing a technical botanical term
applied to the iris inflorescence as a whole. Since the shape of iris
flowers is quite distinctive, it would seem that the appropriate term for
them would be "Iridiform", and if it isn't, it should be.

You may decide whether this is an educated guess, or merely an opinionated
one. (-:

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.