Re: CULT:Bloom Report & Question

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT:Bloom Report & Question
  • From: "Racheal Nekuda" <lilylvr@kansas.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:27:04 -0700

Hi Kelly,
I like dwarf balloon flowers with daffodils planted behind them in the front of a border. Iris in the middle, or daylilies with tall lillium, tall phlox, and painted daisies in the back. This has been a very successful planting for me. Along the side kind of behind but toward an entrance is a huge clump of bright fucshia boltonia that blooms in the fall and takes the eye away from dying folliage. I cage it around the sides and the top so it can support its flowers and later snow after I fertilize and water it so it gets like a huge shrub in size. In front of it are SDB's and BB's along with some miniature dwarf roses. Here they do not get more than a foot tall making the SDB folliage look taller.

One time I dropped some marigold seeds behind clumps of iris and the iris leaves supported the flowers between the cracks in the leaves with folliage showing out the top. It was very pretty.

In a shadier area, I have pyrethrum daisies with Edith Wolford. They bloom together and are really spectacular together. I am sure that many iris bloom about the same time. Clean yellows and blues look great with the rose and pale pink colors of the daisies.

Wendy