Re: REF:Iris Shape, Form

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] REF:Iris Shape, Form
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 23:10:13 -0500

On 10 May 2002 at 10:44, David Silverberg wrote:

> <<"What is the botanical name of the shape of the Iris flower?".>>
> I don't know that the shape has ever been defined (in my limited
> knowledge) - BUT -if we were to draw a connecting line from the center
> of a fall to each of the other two we would form a triangle. If we
> then drew another line from each angle point to the peak of the
> standards we would then form a pyramid. That, I believe, should be the
> basic/botanical shape of the Iris flower. Of course this would not
> hold true for many of the beardless, especially the multi-petalled
> JI's. There are always exceptions to the rule!!! Comments????
> Dave Silverberg
> Molalla, Oregon, USA, zone 7/8ish
From my grandmother's book, THE NEW GARDEN
ENCYCLOPEDIA, published in 1940:

     The iris has long been used in heraldry
     and for ornamental designs because of
     its distinct form.  This consists of three
     upright divisions, known as the standards,
     and three lower divisions called the falls.,
     and between them, three strap-shaped
     divisions known as the style branches.
     It is classically represented in the fleur-de-lis
     or national symbol of the French, which
     has appeared in conventionalized form
     as a device in armory, insignia and
     heraldry for centures.  This tripartite
     flower arrangement, in varying forms,
     prevails through all members of the

So, there you have it - fleur-de-lis or tripartite!
Thanks to Mrs. J. M. Walter and her wise purchase
of so many years ago.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (Starring Enfante Prodige today)

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.