Re: Help We have No Blooms!

  • Subject: Re: Help We have No Blooms!
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 22:47:49 -0000

I sure can relate.  My irises are planted all around the grounds of
the apartment complex I live in (It's HUD-subsidized senior housing,
so I plan to be here for the rest of my life and have made many
flower beds here.

Last year, a woman came and wanted to plant a bed outside her
windows.  I had a small bed of irises there -- plenty of room to
plant around them.  But she demanded I move them or she'd rip them
out.  To keep the peace, I said I'd move them as soon as they
bloomed.  She said NOW!  So I moved them, thereby forfeiting bloom
that year.  And turned the other cheek.  Until the day I came out and
found her with my irises from the other side of her bed crushed in
her fist.  I went ballistic, then went into a deep depression for
weeks.  I just couldn't believe someone would be that cruel, knowing
what they meant to me not only for their beauty but because I was
launching a hybridizing program, and they were some of my most
fertile foundation plants.

The only way someone could have hurt me more was to see my little
dog's neck crushed in her fist like that.  Emotional about irises?
You bet!

Patricia Brooks, now in heaven with the sun finally shining and the
irises finally blooming.

--- In iris-talk@y..., WrightcasL@A... wrote:
> In a message dated 5/9/02 8:50:08 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> doris1434@j... writes:
> > I'm so sorry that happened to your iris. . .and I know about
> >
> I am stilled blessed - all the ones and I should say all the
expensive ones -
> are in the backyard - I only had maybe 15 I bought from breeders or
> on the side of the house - I guess I was pretty smart when I
planted them - I
> still have over 300 in the backyard - I just wanted that area as
beautiful as
> my backyard - maybe next year - I still will get my iris fix in the
> - it's just - and I don't want people to think I am a little
fruity - ha ha -
> but I feel so emotional over them, like they are my kids, I mean I
felt it
> was almost like murder - I don't know if anyone else is kinda
emotional over
> their iris', but I tickle them under their little chins and tell
them how
> beautiful they are - they just are so very beautiful and bring so
> happiness to me. I think everyone can understand how I feel. Sylvia

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.