Re: Matching Names to Plants

  • Subject: Re: Matching Names to Plants
  • From: Robert Pindell <bobdell@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 22:06:23 -0400

At least I didn't have to deal with geese, just frost and wind.  Did one
or more of the culprits end up as Christmas Dinner?

I have been making some progress on my Names and Plants problem.
 Between the Riverview site http://www.riverview-iris-gardens.com/ and
Dorothy Willott's  stack of checklist books going back to the Garden of
Eden I have some idea of what each of the named iris on my list should
look like (I owe them big time, so I can just imagine the beating my
check book is going to take  in a couple of months).  At the end of this
adventure I expect to have a list of names of a few plants that didn't
bloom this year or are dead.  I am marking the plants that don't bloom
and will move them together to keep an eye on them so that next year I
might be able to put names to them.  I have 93 names on my roster, 50
are positively identified either by name tags or descriptions and most
of the rest are yet to bloom.  The problem is getting down to manageable

Take it from one who has had to deal with the mess.  The moral of the
story, which I didn't do well enough,  is mark, mark again underground
and map accurately.

Then there is the adventure of  the bright orange flowering random bit
of what you though you moved, gave away or rototilled out or a seedling
of that bee pod you didn't dead head three years ago that is now growing
right in the middle of a clump of what you think is  all  "PURPLE

The perfect solution to the whole thing is rototill up more of the lawn,
buy and plant more irises. ;-)

How do you know that you have enough irises?  When you discover that you
don't have room to plant that last $50 (or free) rhizome you have in
your hand!

>   From: "Racheal Nekuda" <lilylvr@kansas.net>
>Subject: Re: Matching Names to Plants
>Don't feel bad Rosalie, I have a bed that i tried to randomize the plantings in, nothing in a straight row. I draw so badly that I am now waiting for them to bloom so I can redraw my map with the help of a photo. At least I know exactly what I put in there and within a couple of plants where. But it is still going to be interesting. One thing in my favor, I had just started to collect iris and they should all be very different looking. VBG These are plants that the geese stole the labels off of almost as fast as I put them out. Geese don't grab and drop either. When they don't like something they frequently take it to the pond to drown it.

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the
Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they
came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.  Then they
came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

               Martin Niemoeller, German Lutheran Pastor

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.