CULT:When to stop buying irises

  • Subject: CULT:When to stop buying irises
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 08:37:49 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/2002 9:10:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
bobdell@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<  When you discover that you
 don't have room to plant that last $50 (or free) rhizome you have in
 your hand! >>

You can usually find room for one more iris.

There is a way, but many of us ignore it.  It is simple! (g) When you can no
longer find the time or energy to care for ONE MORE iris, it is time to stop
buying or cut back.  This is a stage many of us reach each and every fall.
It's amazing how we recover by spring.

Famous summer and fall words: (mine anyway-as I stare at the pots full of new
acquisitions)  My children just shake their heads or roll their eyes.
    "I'm not buying any irises NEXT year!"
    "Really!  I'm not buying more irises next year!"
    "Honest, I swear, I'm not buying more irises next year!"

This is not to say that you can't employ every technique known to man or
woman to extend those limits.  I use landscape fabric, and found it a good
solution.  It does have drawbacks, but I've found them easier to deal with
than not having it.  When I start to "fuss" over the landscape fabric, I only
have to remember what a chore it is to weed or look at the areas where I've
removed it.  For me, it is preferable over the sprays.

Betty in Bowling Green KY Zone 7

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!