Re: Re: TB: CULT: last to bloom

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: TB: CULT: last to bloom
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 14:15:02 -0500

Here in dry, windy Texas, PEWTER TREASURE finished day before yesterday and
was late to start, BUGLES AND HORNS and PRIDE OF IRELAND finished yesterday
but BUGLES AND HORNS started a week earlier than PA.  Last bloom today on
VIRGINIA RUDKIN and STUDY IN BLACK.  VR has been blooming just over a week.
SIB is always late and this year it gets the prize for carrying blooms over
the longest time period in the season - just at four weeks now and only
three stalks.  The very last man standing, though is KATMANDU with very
pronounced red-orange thumbprints on the orange ground bloom - has anyone
tried crossing with SANTA, I wonder?  I cut this stalk to ensure seeing the
remaining buds open.  My yard is teeming with tiny grasshoppers from less
than 1/4 inch to nearly 1/2 inch long and Ms. Rudkin is currently making a
banquet as are the drying blooms from those yesterday.

Late for me this year - to my everlasting delight - are the spurias.  Can't
think why the bugs aren't bothering them this year since they have before,
but they aren't.  New to me this week were GOLDMANIA, COLOR FOCUS,
DESTINATION, PURPLE CONCERTO, FALCON'S BROTHER and JUST REWARD.  Still to
come if it hangs in there is ADRIATIC BLUE.  I'll have to wait another year
and hope the others I've never seen bloom get to blooming size clumps.
Hopefully, in another year or two these are going to be big clumps with
generous blooms.  I sure left them room to grow and so far so good.  It's
just taken a while.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA