AIS: How many named varieties?

(Okay, I give up. I don't have a clue which subject tag I should have used!)

In many situations, a clump of irisarians are looking at UFO's and guessing
as to what they might be... and I have heard (in the past) it mentioned that
there are over 80,000 named varieties, registered and introduced with the
AIS. So this is one reason identification is often difficult if not

I've heard this number for at least 7 or 8 years that I can recall, and
wonder if anyone does know how many named iris there are today? (all R & Is)
Would it be over 90,000 now? (Should we celebrate at 100,000 or consider some

Curious Cathy
Region 19, NJ
          Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444          Fax: 609-518-3720

  cathy@gixxergirl.org           http://www.gixxergirl.org/

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.