Re: Re: big seed pod and much mystery

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: big seed pod and much mystery
  • From: carol frazer <cjf5064024@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:48:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Karen,
Sorry I don't have an answer for you,but I do have a
question. Do iris produce seeds? This might be common
knowledge for lots,but I'm lost. I thought they came
from rhizomes and didn't produce seeds. I've never
seen any pods on my iris, but they just started
blooming this year. So what's the scoop? Don't want to
appear ignorant, but I am just learning, too. I guess
you never learn unless you ask.
Carol <cjf5064024@yahoo.com>
--- Karen von Bargen <esteban_maturin@yahoo.com>
> Hi, All!
>   I have got a huge seed pod on one of the iris.
> Really big, like 4 inches long and about as big
> around
> as two of my fingers. Impressive to me, at least.
> Can
> someone direct me to a place where I can learn how
> perhaps grow the seeds? I know it is a well
> discussed
> topic and do not want to clog up the line with
> 'common
> knowledge'. We would very much like to experiment
> with
> the mysterious seeds, see if we could actually get
> anything. Thanks in advance!
> Karen von Bargen
> San Martin, CA
> zone 8A