Re: SPEC:Pictures of New Tectorum / Bearded Hybrid

  • Subject: Re: SPEC:Pictures of New Tectorum / Bearded Hybrid
  • From: "tesilvers" <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:46:47 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., Dennis Kramb <dkramb@b...> wrote:
> Congratulations!  You sure do have a nifty spec-x seedling.  My
only
> regret is that it's not a different color from Paltec (like pink,
or
> yellow, or white) but I guess your limited to the typical colors
> available for tectorum & pallida.
>
> Congrats!

Dennis, Thanks for appreciating my seedling (even though it is so
similar in color to Paltec). I'd sure like to see some different
colors too. Maybe when I achieve a tetraploid Iris tectorum (by
conversion with trifluralin), I can do crosses between it and the
modern TB's with all their diversity of colors and patterns. The
offspring would theoretically constitute a new 52 chromosome fertile
family, with 12|12|14|14 , 12 pairs from TB and 14 pairs from
tectorum. By using a blue x white tectorum diploid as starting
material to convert, I'm hoping to get the broadest range of colors
in the hybrids. Until I get that tetraploid tectorum, I'll have to
settle for hacking away at the diploid level. Maybe Iris variegata,
or some other different diploid species (or species hybrids), might
give a different looking hybrid used with tectorum. The only problem
is that I'll have to convert the resulting sterile offspring before I
can do any further interbreeding. If I could get just one fertile
amphidiploid even, I could probably get occassional seeds (from
unreduced gametes) on the sterile diploid level hybrids (like Paltec
and my seedling).
I'm curious what kind of new Space-Agers you could produce by
breeding the cresting from tectorum into TB lines with flounces,horns
or spoons. The cresting seems to be expressed pretty well in the
diploid hybrids. I wonder if the expression of the cresting would be
more, less or the same at the tetraploid level.
I guess time will tell. I hope my seedling, inspires people to join
in the fun.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.